Well, it’s been quite a year. No wonder that radio stations and TV channels are starting early to get us all in the holiday spirit. One of my favorite things to do around this time of the year is curling up on the couch with some hot tea (or eggnog) and watching the wax slowly drip down the side of my candle. It’s calming for the mind.
It’s also that time of the year when overeating is easier than ever. We promise ourselves that we will eat and drink in moderation but, oh that pumpkin pie is sooo delish! Just one more slice…and a little more eggnog.
Hangover and digestion hacks
According to ayurveda, you’ll want to stop eating and drinking when your stomach is about 75% full. But during the holidays, all bets are off. So if you find yourself overindulging, try these hangover and digestion hacks:
- Drink some coconut water.
- Drink a glass of ice-free water with 1 teaspoon of lime juice, ½ teaspoon of raw, organic sugar and a pinch of salt. Just before gulping it down, add ½ teaspoon of baking soda.
- Take a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice with 1 teaspoon of lime juice and a pinch of cumin powder.
- Sip on hot water. It’s a classical ayurvedic tip and the first one you’ll often hear from a practitioner.
- Take ¼ cup of fresh onion juice with ½ teaspoon of raw, organic honey and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Drink a glass of cumin, coriander and fennel (CCF) tea.
- Grind and mix equal parts of angelica, chamomile and comfrey. Add ½ teaspoon of this mixture to hot water.
- Chew on some fennel seeds. Bonus: they will freshen up your breath too.
- Get some ginger and/or triphala tea. Ginger is known as an “ama pachana”, which roughly means toxin burner. And triphala is a classical ayurvedic digestive and rejuvenative tea made from 3 fruits.
- Try our organic Sips and scents gift basket to help balance your mind and body. The ginger tea will help boost your digestion and the soothing tea will help calm your mind.
Do the holidays like the champ you are!
For sure, the holidays will not be like in any other year. But despite all the madness, there are things you can do to help keep your mental and physical balance besides hangover and digestion control. I’m a big believer in #4 and #5 on this list, and remind myself of #7 every day.
How about you?
You might also like:
- Looking for healthy holiday gifts? Check out our new gift baskets!
- 8 health benefits of cinnamon
- Triphala: 3 little-known fruits for better health
When it comes to eating, all bets are off during the holidays. These natural hangover and digestion hacks could help. #HealthyEating #HealthyLiving Click To Tweet
Disclaimer: This blog is not intended as medical advice. Consult a health practitioner if you want to take herbal supplements.
Deep gratitude to my teachers for sharing the wisdom of ayurveda with me and the recipes presented here over the years. I’m merely a vessel for further spreading this knowledge.
Image by Wendy Wei, Pexelsayurveda, diet, digestion, ginger, health, herbs, triphala